Saturday, December 7, 2019

My 2010s Retrospective: The Rough 10 years

The 2010s was a mixed bag when it comes to how things panned out in my life. High school wasn't that great (then again, there are very few people in this wotld who can say that it was), college was a slog, I've been in and out of churches before sticking to the one in Uncasville in 2013, and the things I wanted to do before this decade was out ended up never happening. Write a book? Didn't happen. Start a movement to drop suicide rates to 0? Didn't happen. Get a girlfriend in high school? Didn't happen. Get my license and a car? Didn't happen. The only thing I did plan that did happen was getting a job; a volunteer job, but it's still a job. But hey, at least I was healthy...until after high school. Now I'm just about 20 pounds shy of being 300lbs. Also, my eldest cat died in 2016, I've engaged in sexual activities with older men (yeah the less said about that the better), I was conned by some punk on Care.com, and I was in a car accident with my uncle in 2016. But enough about me, let's talk how after years of wishing it would never happen (even having a nightmare about it) my parents split. Yeah, alot of it was he said/she said, but the gist of it is out of the blue in 2018 my Mom decide it was best to leave Dad. I wrote a series of poems detailing my grieving process for the past year (all can be found on my Booksie profile here: https://www.booksie.com/users/benjaminfenty-157553) but to give you a general idea of how I felt, I was just one slit wrist away from going to Heaven. Yeah, I can definitely say that was my lowest point. But it's not all doom and gloom. I went to Indiana in 2017, got to meet my long lost cousin, my eldest sister gave birth to her first child this year, I graduated high school, I'm becoming more spiritual thanks to the church I'm going to, I was baptized in 2014, made a bunch of new friends and even got a dog and 3 new cats. And hey, what do you know? I'm still alive after several close encounters with death these past 10 years. I think the best I can say about this decade is that I'm smarter now than I was at the start. So, what are my hopes for the 2020s? Honestly, these are more naive wishes than hopes but: my parents reconciling, getting published, using the royalties to build my own animation studio, get a girlfriend, get married, have a kid, have another kid, and going to Paris. So, yeah, that's been my life for the past 10 years. The optimist in me wants to believe the hard part is over, but I know life is not designed to be that easy. If it was, it'd be a Disney movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment