Tuesday, December 17, 2019

Why I stopped watching Ben 10

I remember really liking Ben 10 when it first aired. At the time it was my favorite Cartoon Network show. It's one of those shows in which the execution is just as good (or otherwise better) than it's concept. This is due to its strong writing, amazing animation, likable characters and great vocal performances. Ben 10 was indeed a good show...until it was brought back as Ben 10: Alien Force. Now, Alien Force wasn't bad, but it I never got into it the same way I did with the original series. I felt the same way about Ultimate Alien, Omniverse and I couldn't even bring myself to watch the 2 steps back reboot. For the longest time, I thought it was the network's fault for milking this franchise. Once I laid that childish mentality behind me, I realized the problem was more understandable than that. I wasn't into the subsequent series because they just weren't for me. I like the original concept of a kid being able to turn into 10 different aliens and fight bad guys all summer as opposed to a teenager. I wasn't interested in Ben becoming a teenager unless he was still a kid at heart; but he wasn't. As for the reboot, again, it looked like it was taking 2 steps backwards. Maybe kids today are getting some entertainment value out of the reboot, but I wasn't impressed with the clips I saw nor was I interested in watching it. Quality wise, Alien Force and Ultimate Alien have nice animation, the voice work is pretty good and I like the new aliens. The same can't be said about Omniverse though, because I'm not a fan of the redesigned characters. You already know how I feel about the reboot, but the point is I stopped watching because I felt the magic of the original series was lost in the subsequent series. If you enjoy them, that's perfectly fine, I just prefer the original.

No comments:

Post a Comment