Saturday, May 11, 2019

Dear Robin Williams' Family

I’m sorry.

This blog is second blog on the site. My first blog was called Stories From The Hive and I deleted that blog for good reason. In August of 2014, Robin Williams, a man who I thought had so much to live for, took his own life. Ignorantly, I posted a rant on that blog criticising how unjust his death was. Looking back though, I can’t help but wish I could go back in time and scream dead in my face ARE YOU FOR REAL???!!!! The truth of the matter is I didn’t know what was going on in Robin Williams’ head and even if I knew what he was going through, getting angry and calling him selfish would be in and of itself selfish. I wasn’t convincing anyone that suicide is bad, I was making him look like a bad person for being depressed to the point of suicide. In truth, I wasn’t being an advocate against suicide and depression like I promised myself I would: I was being a bully. I’m glad I deleted that blog an never looked back because if someone with depression and suicidal thoughts were to have discovered that post, it’d wouldn’t have made them feel encouraged or brighten their day at all. As someone who at one time in his life just wanted to end it all, the last thing I would want to hear is someone telling me I was being selfish and a big baby for not taking life like a man. The truth is, if life was that easy, it’d be a fantasy. I have no right to tell anyone how to live their life and I was foolish to think at the time I did. If you’re depressed or suicidal, please seek the help you need. Call the suicide hotline, go to therapy, commit yourself to a religion, anything. Just don’t lose all hope.

Sincerely,
Benjamin Fenty

National Prevention Suicide Hotline: 1-800-273-8255
The Trevor Project: https://www.thetrevorproject.org/#sm.00000kcmwhqw6qetdyfru99xyx7nw
American Foundation for Suicide Prevention: https://afsp.org
Suicide Awareness Voices of Education: https://save.org

No comments:

Post a Comment