Saturday, May 11, 2019

Why I don't want to be famous

I’m sure you’ve hummed that song about being famous at least once (My House by Flo Rida, Rockstar by Nickelback, the Total Drama Island theme song), but you ever wonder what being famous is actually like? Well, it’s not all about the money, cars, parties and expensive clothing that’s for sure. No, when your famous, all it takes is for you to make 1 mistake or bad decision and your credibility is as gone just as fast as when you got it. I have a few skeletons in my closet and if one of my works were to become the next trending topic, it will only be a matter of time before it all comes crashing down.
Another reason why I don’t want to be famous is because your personal life is no longer private. Try as you might, there’s no escaping paparazzi or stalkers. People always want to know what you’re up to when you’re not working on your profession. That’s the way it’s always been; people are naturally curious. That said, my personal life is something I take very seriously and unless I say otherwise, it’s not anyone’s concern what I do outside of writing.
There’s also the matter of dealing with the media spreading lies or stretching the truth about you in an attempt to get more clicks. Not a single celebrity exists where there isn’t a rumor about them that was reported by the media. Lies sell like hot cakes, and I don’t want to have to deal with that.
The biggest reason why I don’t want to be famous is because it comes at a price I can’t afford to pay: my identity. I can no longer be myself once everyone knows who I am. I can’t be reserved, I can’t dress the way I want, I can’t say share anything relating to my religion, I can’t even loose my cool when push comes to shove. Because if I did any of that, I’d be faced with judgement around every corner.
Suffice to say, I don’t want to be known around the world like other celebrities are right now. I’m perfectly comfortable being known by a select few followers than millions of fans around the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment